Thursday, July 16, 2009

Love of Learning

I have learned the secrets from the philosophers. I have understood the actions of God and his design from the theologians. I have learned the mysteries of the world from the contemplatives. I have transcended to learn what is noble from the mystics. I have learned to appreciate simple truths with the pleasure of reasoning and logic.


Yet all this is not enough for me to love my neighbor. All the reasons my neighbor does what he does is not enough for me to show compassion for I am busy scheming my next rebuttal. Knowledge does not give you grace but opens one out to the reality of it: that one needs it and it cannot be culled out of books


How much more proof does one need that mere learning cannot help me love a neighbor while a poor peasant who knows nothing about the awesomeness of the ways of the world and of noble conversations may love a neighbor more than I. What more proof that grace comes from God only if I in humility ask it and no amount of knowledge of the world can teach me any bit of love.


I read about God design of free will and how he can achieve his will without destroying my freedom and will. I may have understood such lofty proofs but if I may not able to love my neighbor sitting next to me, how much does the knowledge account to? It is better that I learn to love than to be puffed up with pride of learning that does not dispose me to love.

No comments: