Friday, December 11, 2009

The Everyday truth of Friendships

There is a great joy in the little things of everyday friendship. My friend had to buy a camera yesterday and we went around from shop to shop trying to find him exactly what he wishes. Most of our friendship was lived on the way to these malls, on the sidewalk while starting the bike or while exiting a shop and infusing hope that the next shop would hand us what we desire.

After we bought the camera, we wanted to celebrate over dinner. I fancied this one hotel and two of my friends favored another. I tried my best using coy arguments to win them over. Eventually I chose friendship and their joy of desiring me to see what they see in the other hotel. I died unto my desire for my own joy over their hope of my joy after I come to believe what they believe

We lived so many little moments of friendship in numerous little things that it is hard to tell one from the other. If anyone were to ask me why I had a great time, it would be hard for me to explain how exactly that came about without a movie or sports or a party night.

I believe God often touches us in little things of love than show us friendships made of grandeur and show. If we are not able to encourage our friends in their little joys and be joyous ourselves, I see little possibility of we being able to grasp a nobler truth of a friendship with God.

For a friendship with God is discerning his hand and touch of love in the little things of everyday life. Without the grace to feel God's presence in our joys and pain, our life would remain but a random day of luck or error. We would neither be able to recognize the love of our really true Friend nor be able to live a friendship with Him who is the source of all our friendships, all our love. Life without finding love of God in little things would be merely an investment plan where one day we lose thousands and another day gain thousands.

But with God, the troubles of life are like walking over hilly areas in order to meet our friend who knows it is difficult to live friendship on His terms. And for all that, God rewards us with little joys of our life which are like resting on the greens of the valley. Without these bouts of love in little things, we lose the supernatural dimensions of our lives. Little things in friendship and the gratitude for love in them teaches us that peace in friendship is more wealthy than a life lived alone within our fantasies and dreams.

No comments: