Friday, March 28, 2008

Prayer works both ways

I was visiting the optician in the evening. On my way I was praying to God to give my sister grace because she yells at us, her siblings and snaps. We all do that actually but I had finally decided to change myself. In our family we hadn't really learned how to talk to each other and conduct ourselves. We hadn't learned to talk to each other in love or atleast conduct ourselves with dignity if we need someting or have to reproach someone or assert ourselves. Nothing was an arugment, everything was a scuffle or a face-off. If a friend is correcting his friend, it is very easy to be yourself. But if you are correcting a stranger or someone you barely talk to, he may think why does he have to face your music unless you do it with love. Such is our relationships in our family. Everyone thinks that each is giving us the music.
So I prayed that God give my sister grace to learn to talk properly. In the evening my sister wished that I bring her some snack from the shop. I brought it from the shop she most despised and also brought something she did not prefer. So began the questions on why couldn't I confirm before bringing it, Why did I not bring it from the shop close to our house, why did you not do this and why did you not do that...
I was losing it and thought I could join the 'why' brigade. I only said: If that is the case then you rather bring yourself what you wish to eat" Something I have always maintained. But her 'Why's continued. After some time I just said: I am sorry for doing this and you don't have to eat it...Its ok. She said ok and hung the phone. When I kept the phone I realized that I had apologized to someone and it felt great. I felt like i had cut my pride down to size. I have always apologizes for my own failings. But I really didn't look at this thing as a failing. I looked at this as someone needing a favor and then 'biting the hand that favors'. I then realized God gave me the grace to tolerate her questions and accept the situation first before deciding to giver her Grace.

No comments: